Thursday, June 3, 2021

Cheesed off

 Ok, I confess, I'm in a foul temper, having just learned that we may not be able to put a tent up on the lawn after all.  Long story that I won't go into here. And somehow the phrase "cheesed off" came to mind and, you guessed it, I needed to look into its origin.  From Idiom Origins online:  British military slang for fed up or annoyed dates from mid-20th century. The origin is obscure but probably related to hard cheese meaning hard or bad luck.  I was hoping for a more exciting definition. It's not even a phrase I use..Now that does cheese me off and while I'm at it, has anyone else noticed how dumbed down Cracker Barrel cheese has become.  While never a great cheddar, their Seriously Sharp and Extra Sharp were reasonably good, but they've been replaced by a kind of american cheese pasty product...ah well.  And while I'm being cranky, if any of you watch pbs, have you noticed the Fidelity ads with the theme "change of plans" featuring the smug, self important couple of considerable worth who meet regularly with their accommodating advisor to report that, once again, they have a "change of plans."  This has become part of our parlance at home (so I guess Fidelity wins) but mostly to say things like "Mom, are you painting again?  You should burn these."  (Because one of the charming scenarios has their perfect daughter of twins (another change of plans) asking her mother "Mom, are you painting again?  You could sell these." and, you guessed it, another "change of plans..."

Ok, I need to say something nice.  Local artist Joe Montroy just put up his show in the library's gallery featuring charcoal and graphite drawings of nature scenes.  They are stunning and worth checking out.  His show will be up in June and July.  With apologies to Joe for the poor phone image...you'll just have to come by to see for yourselves!  



No comments:

Post a Comment