Thursday, December 3, 2020

December it is

 Not sure how that happened.  Just a quick post.  Thoroughly enjoyed "A Thousand Moons" by Sebastian Barry.  I wasn't sure how a renowned Irish writer was going to take on post Civil War Tennessee, but he tells a compelling tale.  Particularly jarring is the plot element that deals with the militias that rose up after the civil war including people opposed to the outcome of the war.  The weakest bit was his take on dialect.  This rarely works for me, though I certainly see the need.  It somehow often doesn't ring quite true.  Still, it's a fine and compelling novel and I recommend it.  Great strong young woman as the central character.  I also had to suspend some disbelief about an Irish man writing in the voice of a young Lakota woman.  Is this improper expropriation...now there is a subject that has plagued better brains than mine.  (see discussions on "American Dirt.")

Here's another phrase that I use for which I felt compelled to know the source:  Yes, the below is from Wikipedia

The poet and aesthetic philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge introduced the term "suspension of disbelief" in 1817 and suggested that if a writer could infuse a "human interest and a semblance of truth" into a fantastic tale, the reader would suspend judgement concerning the implausibility of the narrative.[3] Coleridge sought to revive the use of fantastic elements in poetry and developed a concept to support how a modern, enlightened audience might continue to enjoy such types of literature.


I'm currently reading the new John Banville "Snow" and thoroughly enjoying it (as much as one can enjoy a grisly murder and a dysfunctional family).  I'm looking for my next read....


No comments:

Post a Comment