Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Warm on Wednesday

but not at the library....Come in here to cool down!  You can thank Janet DeVito for this post.  She made my day this afternoon when she told me how much she missed my blog.  I confess, I never thought I would blog and used it only as a vehicle for giving those interested updates on our building project.  That said, it was a cathartic and thoroughly enjoyable undertaking.  So perhaps I'll get back to it.  Not with the regularity of our post lightning days, but from time to time. 

Today I will share a paragraph just drafted for what will be our new brochure.  The previous statement about the library was a bit anemic, and perhaps the below is too much, but it may be of interest to some.  So here it is...


The original library in Contoocook was organized in 1871, the same year as the Hopkinton Village Library was founded.  From the 1920s to the 1950s the Contoocook Library was housed in the railroad station and in space in the Curtice block nearby.  In 1959, the new Bates Library on Main Street in Contoocook was dedicated.  The Hopkinton Village Library was located in the Antiquarian Society from 1892 to 1994, at which time all library services were centralized in Contoocook. Soon after, Bates was determined to be too small to meet needs.  After a community wide planning and resource development effort, a new 10,000 square foot facility was built on the former Houston Farm property in 1998.  Our new space features meeting rooms, reading porches, public computers, a café and quiet study rooms.  Extensive renovations, including energy efficiency measures, were completed after a lightning strike in 2018. 

I don't have a library picture to share, but instead will share a pic of the chocolate Pavlova I made for my daughter's birthday this past weekend.  It was amazing, if I do say so myself...That's a chocolate meringue nest, filled with mousse.  Be still my heart.  


No comments:

Post a Comment