Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year

I'll be happy to see 2018 behind me and looking forward to a wonderful new year of re-building. My wanderings around the library building confirm that the Bergeron elves were at work over the holidays and progress continues to be made on bringing the building back.  As some of you may have read, we have come up with a range of additional projects to improve the library space and services, many building on recommendations resulting from our recent long range planning.   We'll be distributing information on these in January, with some naming opportunities included if that is of interest to any readers.  Please feel free to contact me if you have questions.

 Just to keep things exciting, I've been knocked down by some sort of illness since after Christmas (the plague?).  Not quite seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yet.  The good news is that the library was going to be closed anyway and I was not so diminished that I was unable to read and do crossword puzzles in front of the tree with endless mugs of tea.  Highly recommended is the completely diverting new book by Kareem Abdul Jabbar (yes that KAJ, of basketball fame, who is a devoted Holmsian).  His new "Mycroft and Sherlock" was just what I was looking for.
Mycroft and Sherlock

  I also devoured the new book by Esi Edugyan, a harrowing and triumphant tale of the journey of a black slave into the world of science. It was on the NY Times "Top Ten of 2018" and deservedly so.  I was glad that I had the Large Print version.

Washington Black: A novel

No comments:

Post a Comment