Friday, August 13, 2021

Friday all day

 Greetings on a steamy Friday.  I'd rather not believe that today was the last day of the Summer Reading Program--another great series of events-thank you Leigh! and that I just got the template for the 2022 budget from the town Finance Director.  I will permit myself a continued period of denial.  Like Scarlett, I'll think about it tomorrow...or next week.  Speaking of next week, if you haven't checked out the Covid art show, you should give it a peak and consider attending our opening event next thursday from 5-6:30.

On the reading front, I am almost done with the new Francine Prose book "The Vixen" and quite enjoyed it. The unlikely premise is the potential publication of a bodice ripper based on the trial of Ethel and Julius Rosenberg and the layers of intrigue surrounding that.  A great novel?  Perhaps not, but a good read, which features Coney Island, a place of my youth, as a character of sorts.  I'm moving on to the new Jhumpa Lahiri book:.  "Whereabouts" A marvelous new novel from the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Lowland and Interpreter of Maladies--her first in nearly a decade--about a woman questioning her place in the world, wavering between stasis and movement, between the need to belong and the refusal to form lasting ties.

Thoroughly looking forward to it.  This is a departure for Lahiri, who wrote the book in Italian and translated it herself.  This is a kind of literary/linguistic gymnastics that I have a difficult time getting my brain around...Will let you know.  Good weekend to all. If you're at the Farmers Market, visit the library's tent and mini booksale.  Fill out our brief survey while you're there!  many thanks...


No comments:

Post a Comment