Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Miracle of nature

 I buy new amaryllis bulbs after Thanksgiving to offer some  color for new years and usually over-winter at least one or two.  After the blooms die off, I generally put them out while still in leaf to live in the garden until the fall.  The bulbs (sometimes in their pots, sometimes not, depending on how lazy I am) then go into the basement.  This year, I totally forgot that I put one potted bulb (a particularly dramatic and plentiful bloomer)  into a cabinet in the garage.  This weekend, lo and behold, my husband was looking for something and found this amazing ghost plant.  Even Mouse was impressed.  This intrepid plant wanted to burst forth even without benefit of sunlight...

It has been slowly greening up and transitioning through a whole spectrum of pinks.  Here it is from early this morning.  Miracle of miracles...


and speaking of Mouse, here she is on the porch on one recent 90 degree day.  She has quite a life.  I confess that I'd like to put her to work lately to help us deal with the bumper crop of chipmunks we have who are feasting on our garden.  But alas, she must remain an indoor beast in the interest of our bird population and to keep her from getting tick ridden and safe from cars and coyotes.  








No comments:

Post a Comment