Thursday, June 24, 2021

Farmers Market

 We are 'egg'cited and 'peas'ed that the library will have a table at the Contoocook Farmers Market all summer.  Inspired by Leigh Maynard's success, members of the Friends of the Library and Library Board of Trustees will be hosting a table there each Saturday through the end of August, which will feature a mini "pop up" used book sale.  No, we will not only be selling pop up books. We will be selling gently used fiction and non-fiction for all ages.  Come check it out.  There will be other information about library services and hours as well.

I'm about to return "Perestroika in Paris" and will be sad to see it go.  It was the pleasantest escape.  I was a bit startled when looking at the catalog entry that under "You might also like" (a feature of our online catalog that I think I like and others have said they do...) they suggested the new Chang-rae Lee "My Year Abroad" a book I thoroughly enjoyed, but it is about as connected to the Jane Smiley book as I am to Britney Spears.  It is pretty angst ridden and has a fair amount of fairly graphic and somewhat warped sex.  It makes me wonder what algorithm they use to make the connections. 

Next up is Swimming Back to Trout River by Linda Rui Feng. A lyrical novel set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution that follows a father's quest to reunite his family before his precocious daughter's momentous birthday, which Garth Greenwell calls "one of the most beautiful debuts I've read in years."

I'm a bit worried about the "lyrical" part.  That can be good or really bad...We'll see.  Here's to flowers all summer long!!  















 




No comments:

Post a Comment