Monday, November 16, 2020

Thankful

 Even in these out of kilter days, I've decided that it's essential to try to remember things for which to be thankful.  My family, good food, the library staff, relative safety in this little corner of the world all deserve prominent spots on the list.  I'd add to the list, predictably, all the wonderful books there are to read.  I am just finishing "Jack" by Marilynne Robinson, the last of her Pulitzer Prize winning series.  It did not disappoint, with pitch perfect human characters and dialogue.  There are so many options to choose from.

On my list are "Transcendent Kingdom" Yaa Gyasi.  "A Thousand Moons" by Sebastian Barry or a dark horse, "Self Portait with Russian Piano" by Wolf Wondratschek, recently translated from German.  Okay, as soon as I typed it, I knew I had to look it up and it seems that my use for this German racehorse is appropriate.  I will probably read them all, but which will grab me first...


dark horse

 noun

Definition of dark horse

1aa usually little known contender (such as a racehorse) that makes an unexpectedly good showing
ban entrant in a contest that is judged unlikely to succeed
2a political candidate unexpectedly nominated usually as a compromise between factions



No comments:

Post a Comment