Thursday, September 3, 2020

Outside of a dog

 "Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read."

Groucho Marx

I actually have heard that this is misattributed, but I love Groucho, so I'll give him credit.

Why did this quote come to mind?  Because these days, books and crossword puzzles (ok, food and gardening and my family as well) are some of the only things that keep me even remotely sane.  I need the escape of books.

Why then, you might ask, did you decide to read "Hamnet: A novel of the Plague" by Maggie O'Farrell?  

Good question.  Because it offers an escape to a different period and because the story line seemed promising and it was.  I also loved the cover.  Oh, wait, one isn't supposed to judge a book by its cover.  I'd be lying if I told you that I don't do that from time to time. I am almost done and will be sorry to see it go.  Makes me wonder if "buboes" (a central component in the 16th century plague)...

bu·bo
/ˈb(y)o͞obō/
noun
plural noun: buboes
  1. a swollen inflamed lymph node in the armpit or groin.

were part of Coronavirus, whether there would be fewer Covid-deniers out there.

I'm moving on to the new David Mitchell and am very much looking forward to yet a new and promising form of escape.NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * The long-awaited new novel from the bestselling, prize-winning author of Cloud Atlas and The Bone Clocks.

New York Times Book Review Editors' Choice * "Mitchell's rich imaginative stews bubble with history and drama, and this time the flavor is a blend of Carnaby Street and Chateau Marmont."--The Washington Post

I do love our new online catalog, the public side at least...If you haven't played around with it, you should...

This weekend, think of all those who labor for the good of this country.

From History Channel website:  Labor Day 2020 will occur on Monday, September 7. Labor Day pays tribute to the contributions and achievements of American workers and is traditionally observed on the first Monday in September. It was created by the labor movement in the late 19th century and became a federal holiday in 1894. Labor Day weekend also symbolizes the end of summer for many Americans

No comments:

Post a Comment