Thursday, January 24, 2019

Color my World

So we have been looking at paint colors, floor coverings, upholstery fabrics.  "Is this too red/too orange/too boring?  Are we going to seem like we're trying to be too matchy-matchy?"  I like geometric patterns...ooh the nubbly ones are nice...I'd like anything in a blue palette...Organic forms are nice...
Still it's fun and most everyone is chiming in.  And it all reminds me of one of my favorite old movies "Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House" with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy.  Below is an excerpt from a conversation between Myrna Loy as Mrs. Blandings and her painter.  Priceless.
Mrs. Blandings gives detailed instructions to the painter, explaining what she wants in each room:
“First, the living room. I want it to be a soft green. Not as blue-green as a robin’s egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodils. Now, the dining room. Not just yellow–something bright and sunshiny. If you send one of your workers to the grocer for a pound of butter and match that, they can’t go wrong.”
The painter turns to the guy next to him. “Got that, Charlie?”
“Uh-huh. Red, green, yellow, blue, and white.”
And with that I depart into this 50 degree rainy evening.  Until it freezes up.  No such thing as climate change?? dvd

No comments:

Post a Comment