Monday, March 15, 2021

Pi Day

 Yesterday was Pi Day. For those who delight in numbers and pay attention to such things: 3.14, or Pi, is a mathematical constant, the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. Thus 3/14 is Pi Day and a day to make a pie.  It was so cold, I was also happy to have the oven on.  It was my first foray into a recipe from the 2020 book  "Pie Academy" which my husband gave me for Christmas.  I've been reading through it, but hadn't actually baked anything yet.  (this book is also in the library's collection--I highly recommend it).  I made an apple cranberry walnut pie with an oatmeal crumb topping.  It was pretty amazing, if I do say so myself, with a complexity of flavor that I don't think I've ever quite achieved in an apple pie before.  It was sweetened with only 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of maple syrup and flavored with lemon, orange peel, cinnamon and clove.  Really good.  I guess not so photogenic though...

Plans are afoot for a new round of Hopkinton READS! in partnership with the school district and the Office of Diversity and Multiculturalism at Keene State.  We'll be reading a book of essays "How to Make a Slave" by Jerald Walker.  Very readable, insightful and often funny.  Books will be for sale and loan at the library starting tomorrow.  We've got some great programming planned, with a kick off discussion framing the programming to come with Dottie Morris, VP for Diversity and Inclusion at Keene State on Thursday March 25th at 7pm via Zoom.  Stay tuned for details.  

"These extraordinarily candid essays crackle with humor and dramatic tension. Jerald Walker is one of the most gifted essayists of our time."  (Robert Atwan, series editor, The Best American Essays)



No comments:

Post a Comment