Friday, February 26, 2021

happy friday

 I see that the NYT has chosen it's ten best books of 2020.  I'm relieved to have read some of them and others are on my list.  Hamnet and Deacon King Kong are on there., both favorites.  I'm planning to read The Vanishing Half, but it has a wait list (though actually we have a large print version of it as well, which people have declined to borrow (fearing that if they take it, it will come with a gray wig, cane and dentures).  I'm not at all troubled by LP, indeed it's a bit of a relief for old eyes and remarkably enough, despite what one might expect, they really aren't more weighty than regular print.  I'm also curious about "Homeland Elegies" (Akhtar) and "A Children's Bible",(Millet) both on the list.  So much to read...I am just finishing up "Shuggie Bain" (Douglas Stuart) which has become an addictive read with endearing, incredibly flawed characters in hardscrabble Glasgow.  If they make it into a movie, it will need subtitles.  It's not a happy book, but it is so icily clear and warm at the same time.  I am truly terrible at writing about the books I'm reading.  Maybe I need more practice.  



Also wanted to put a plug in for our Covid Call for Art if you haven't seen it.  Spread the word



No comments:

Post a Comment