Thursday, July 30, 2020

will it be a hat trick?

I use that term as if I am remotely sporty, although I often use it when chatting about cricket: "the taking of three wickets by the same bowler with successive balls"--what I'm referring to is the fact that the long list for the Booker Prize is out and Hillary Mantel is on it for the third time in a row, this time for "The Mirror and the Light," a marvel of a book.  Her final book in her series on Thomas Cromwell.  The first two won Bookers and the question is, will she bring in a record breaking third?

I'm of two minds on that.  She may indeed deserve the prize, though what does "deserve" mean?  Why not spread the wealth and give it to one of the other very worthy candidates, many of them first time authors.  I attach a summary of the list here for your perusal.  We already owned some of them (Apeirigon-McCann; "Such a Fun Age" -Reid and "Redhead by the Side of the Road- Tyler; and the Mantel.  Now I've ordered most of the remaining, so if you're interested, keep an eye out, or put a reserve on a title.



No comments:

Post a Comment